I feel like a fisherman’s wife some days. Always screaming like a banshee at the boys to BE CAREFUL. But lordy I am wasting my breath. They pay absolutely no attention to me. None! They keep on yelling and running/wrestling/spinning/generally being rowdy. Of all the totally useless things I say to my kids ‘Be careful’ must be top of the list. What does ‘be careful’ even mean? Clearly my boys don’t know or don’t care! They blatantly ignore me. It’s like they think they are invincible, with a total disregard for their own safety.
The only possible explanation for my insistent pleadings with the boys to ‘be careful’ is that it gives me some weird illusion that I have an ounce of control. I don’t. Once that manic play starts there really is no stopping them. Short of discreetly sneaking a a packet of chips from the cupboard. Or attempting to go to the toilet. Strangely I never think of that among the chaos of their fighting games. I’m on high alert because someone will get hurt and I really, really want them to BE CAREFUL!
Other totally useless things I say to my kids
I’m trying to come up with something remotely effective to
yell at tell the boys when they are rolling around on the floor like a litter of enthusiastic puppies. It hasn’t worked! Instead I screech these things on high rotation:
- Stop Yelling! Doesn’t work, especially when yelled at them.
- Slow down. Resulting in faster running to escape cranky Mum.
- Please be a little quieter. Well they are so loud I doubt they even hear me. Three little boys are capable of making an insane amount of noise.
- Be gentle with your brother. Pffft, ‘gentle’ is clearly not part of the game.
- Why are you so loud? Umm, because they are small boys x3!
- Why did you do that? Come on Mum, you know that one is pointless.
- Stop wrestling! It’s like banging my head against a brick wall.
- Someone will get hurt. And they do, and I bite my tongue and resist saying “I told you so”.
- Listen to me! No way, crazy eyed lady.
- Wine, where’s the wine? Oh wait, that’s what I say to my husband!
You get the picture. It’s like I am talking to myself! That’s a few of the totally useless things I say to my kids when they are causing a ruckus. I’m sure there are more. What’s the most useless thing you tell your kids?
Linking up with Essentially Jess for #IBOT