Spring is strawberry season! If you have an excess, whip up a strawberry crumble slice. This slice evolved from a hankering for a piece of slice, and a need to use some strawberries that were getting soft.
The base is a standard shortbread base. The filling is mushed up strawberries, combined with strawberry jam. Then it’s all topped off with a crumbly crumble. It’s delicious and perfect with an afternoon cup of tea. Due to popular demand (slight exaggeration!) I have put together the strawberry crumble slice recipe.
This slice sure was a hit at work. Even the health fanatic in the office couldn’t resist a slice. For me, sharing home baked treats with others is a huge part of the joy of baking!
Strawberry Crumble Slice recipe
165g unsalted butter (at room temperature)
3/4 cup caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1/3 cup cornflour
1/2 cup strawberry jam
3/4 cup plain flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
Start by preheating your oven to 180C. Grease a slice tin and line the base and sides with baking paper.
1. Place the butter, caster sugar and vanilla extract in the bowl of your electric mixer and beat until pale.
2. Sift the plain flour and corn four together. Add the combined flours, in two batches, to the butter mixture. Beat on low speed until just combined.
3. Press the dough into the pan. Using the base of a glass, lightly floured, helps with this step.
4. Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden.
5. Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes.
6. Slice the strawberries and combine with the strawberry jam.
7. Pour over the cooled shortbread base.
8. Combine the oats, brown sugar, butter and flour in a bowl.
9. Rub the butter into the mixture until it’s a bread crumb like consistency.
10. Spread the crumble over the strawberries and bake for about 25 minutes or until golden.
11. Allow the strawberry crumble slice to cool completely in the pan. Once cooled, cut into squares and enjoy with a hot cup of tea!
Are you a slice fan? I’d love to know if you make the strawberry crumble slice! Tag @lifeonwallace on Instagram so I can see your delicious baking.
Linking up with Kylie for #IBOT